Darren Doyle, story and photos
Emergency personnel were dispatched to the Genesis Health Care/Edmonson Center nursing home around 1AM on Thursday morning when smoke began to fill the nurses' station.
Facility Administrator Chris Swihart said that a rooftop air conditioner unit malfunctioned and as a result, a portion of the facility was filled with smoke.
Stan Tillman, Assistant Chief for the Brownsville Fire Department, said Admin. Swihart climbed on top of the building with emergency workers and saw where the AC unit's motor had burned itself out. The nurses' station was located directly below the area.
"We've checked all the other air units to make sure there are no issues and we've ventilated the building to remove all the smoke. Luckily, everything is ok," Stillman said.
Admin. Swihart said that at no time were the residents in danger and the smoke was kept away from their rooms. "The damaged unit had nothing to do with individual rooms," he said. "It was isolated to another part of the building."
The scene was cleared around 2AM. Responding were the Brownsville, Kyrock, and Chalybeate Fire Departments, Edmonson County Emergency Management, and Edmonson EMS.
"We want to thank all our local emergency workers for all their help," Swihart added.