Darren Doyle, story and photos
Firefighters were called to the home of Bruce Denham on Chalybeate Road this afternoon when a pick up caught fire in a wooded area and began to spread into the woods. Denham, who is known for owning many junked vehicles and school buses said he was driving the truck around the property when the transmission started to malfunction.
"It was a good old little truck," he said. "I drove it out there and it started acting up. I could go backwards, but it wouldn't go forwards. I guess the transmission line came off or something. I just parked it out there and walked back up to the house. When I looked out there again, it was on fire."
Denham's house is located just a few houses down the road from the Chalybeate Fire Department so the response time was quick. Tons of old cars and car parts are scattered throughout the wooded area behind Denham's home from a salvage business he ran years ago.
Firefighters were called back out a couple hours later when the blaze rekindled, but everything seemed to be under control around 4pm.
Also responding to the blaze was the Brownsville Fire Department. There were also members of the Kyrock Fire Department present on scene.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.