Even though most everyone relies on common sense during winter weather and cold temperatures, there are also hidden risks often forgotten about, like carbon monoxide poisoning from improper use of alternative heating sources to heat homes. Also, the risk of hypothermia is high from
individuals not properly dressed for cold temperatures.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
. Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gasoline or
charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement or garage or near a
. Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if
you leave the door open.
. Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't properly vented.
. Don't heat your house with a gas oven.
. Seek prompt medical attention by calling 911 or the Kentucky Regional
Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and
are feeling dizzy, light-headed, have a headache, chest pain or are feeling
. To install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home or
replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and
fall for daylight savings time. If the detector sounds, leave your home
immediately and call 911.
. Hypothermia can result when the body's temperature drops below what is
necessary to maintain normal bodily functions. In severe cases or when the
body is not warmed properly, death can result.
. To prevent hypothermia, wear appropriate clothing and limit the time you
spend outdoors. Layer clothes made of synthetic and wool fabrics, which are
best for keeping warm. Remember to wear hats, coats, scarves and gloves.
. Symptoms of hypothermia include shivering, altered speech pattern,
abnormally slow rate of breathing, cold pale skin and lethargy. Seek medical
attention if you experiences signs of hypothermia. Individuals experiencing
these symptoms should call 911 or seek medical attention immediately.