Darren Doyle, story and photos
Firefighters responded to the home of Matt and Julie Richardson in the 800 block of Reed Road near the Mohawk Community on Sunday night, around 8pm.
According to statements from Mr. Richardson and Chalybeate Fire Chief Daniel Johnson, the fire appeared to have started above the family's fireplace insert. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the top floor of the house, which has a basement, and the family chose to stay on the property and sleep in the basement that night.
Mr. Richardson said the fire rekindled around 2:30am, possibly from an electrical connection somewhere near the fireplace and he attempted to fight the fire with his own garden hose, but was unable to contain the blaze.
Firefighters returned to the scene but were unable to save the structure. The family lost nearly everything in the fire. Family, friends, and neighbors were helping sort through charred items early Monday morning to see what could be salvaged, but the family, who also has a 10 year old son, needs your help.
The Chalybeate Fire Department has started a relief effort on behalf of the Richardson family and the following clothing sizes are needed immediately:
"Thankfully we were able to get out safely," Mr. Richardson said. "That's the important part. We can replace all this stuff."
Responding to the scene were the Chalybeate, Brownsville, Wingfield, Rocky Hill, and Smiths Grove Fire Departments along with Warren Rural Electric. No injuries were reported.
Comments are closed.