A Roundhill man is recovering today in Vanderbilt Hospital's ICU burn unit, but is in positive spirits. Devin Johnson, 22 was air lifted to the hospital yesterday when he suffered second degree burns while burning trash.
We spoke with Mr. Johnson today and he said there were some inaccuracies in yesterday's story. Law enforcement and other emergency personnel gave us his incorrect age as being 24, when Mr. Johnson is actually 22 years old. Those same sources reported to us that Mr. Johnson was burned when pouring gas on the fire, which Mr. Johnson said was also incorrect.
"I was burning some trash and I had an oil jug," Johnson said. "I don't know how or why, but it exploded in my hands." Johnson said he has burns on 28% percent of his upper body, including his face. He said he is scheduled to undergo skin grafts soon and hopes to be moved into a regular room, possibly today.
He also said he appreciates the well wishes and prayers so far.
The Edmonson Voice strives to not only report information quickly, but most of all, accurately. I personally apologized to Mr. Johnson for the incorrect information in our article from yesterday and apologize to our readers on behalf of our entire news network. --Darren Doyle, Editor, EdmonsonVoice.com.