Home, Contents, Pets Lost In Fire
Darren Doyle, story and photos:
A Chalybeate couple lost their home, its contents, and several pets on Wednesday, March 7, 2018 after a fire consumed their residence near the Chalybeate Sports Complex and Park.
Firefighters responded to the 2000 block of Sulphur Road around 9am to the report of a structure fire. Although firefighters were able to respond within minutes, the home was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Neighbors and friends reported that several pets were lost in the fire. *Several headed up a relief effort; however, as a result of an earlier version of this report, the family was overwhelmed with support and they have asked that the relief efforts stop and for privacy at this time.
Both the Chalybeate and Brownsville Fire Departments responded to the scene. Firefighters worked to keep the fire out of the woods in Sulphur Hollow, which bordered the property.
Chalybeate fire chief Daniel Johnson said firefighters returned to the scene yesterday evening because of a small rekindle.
Also responding was Edmonson County Sheriff Shane Doyle, WRECC, and several neighbors arrived to offer any sort of help they could.
*updated 3/8/18, 11:49pm: an earlier version of this article listed the names of the homeowners as part of a neighborhood relief effort organized by friends. The owners reported that they received an overwhelming number of calls and messages of support, and that the relief effort was no longer needed, although greatly appreciated. They are asking for privacy at this time.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.