Darren Doyle, story and photos, Edmonson Voice
Local firefighters responded to a house fire around 1:30 AM on Monday, June 15th, to the home of Mrs. Jessie Miller, at 1063 Chalybeate Rd, about a mile south from the Beaver Dam Baptizing Facility. According to Chalybeate Fire Chief Daniel Johnson, who was first on the scene, a detached garage and three vehicles were engulfed when firefighters arrived.
"Mrs. Miller saw bright lights out the window and then realized her garage was on fire," Chief Johnson said. Officials said that she and one of her sons, Ronald Miller, got out with no injuries.
Officials said that it's obvious the fire started in the garage and made its way to the end of the home. There were three vehicles in the driveway, all of which were completely lost.
Mrs. Miller's other son, Mike Miller, was also at the scene. "The only thing in there (the garage) that was running was a refrigerator," he said. "We had some stuff stolen out of there recently, and you know, we had a 50cc scooter right there in the door, and I swear, I don't see it," he added. "It could be under that stuff there, (he pointed to the rubble) but it's a big scooter so the motor and frame should still be there."
He pointed out that the scooter was parked in front of an old garden tiller, which could still be seen, but the scooter wasn't visible. This raised the question of a possible theft and arson to some at the scene, but no officials have eluded to that as of right now. A close family friend was overheard telling Mr. Miller that his nearby residence was broken into yesterday and several items were stolen, (currently under police investigation) but again, no official word that the two incidents are related, nor that any crime was committed at Mrs. Miller's home.
Chief Johnson said firefighters left the scene around 4 AM but were called back around 7 AM when the blaze rekindled inside the home. The firemen were spraying firefighting foam when they returned. The foam is a compound used to cool surface areas and prevent the fuel's contact with oxygen, which suppresses the fire.
The blaze was contained to the south end of the home, but the entire attic area took on smoke and water damage. Mr. Miller said it was unclear of what steps would be taken next. "We can't bother anything until the insurance company gets here," he said.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.