Brownsville Fire Department Praises Edmonson Center Staff For Quick Action
Darren Doyle, story and photo:
Firefighters responded to a report of a fire at Genesis Healthcare, Edmonson Center today just before 9am.
According to Brownsville firefighter John Chidester, the Brownsville, Chalybeate, and Kyrock Fire departments were dispatched at 8:51am to a report of a fire in a resident's room. Firefighters arrived in three minutes, according to dispatch records.
"At 8:54am, Brownsville responded and by 8:56am, there were four trucks at the scene," he said. "As we entered the building, we discovered that the staff had already put out the fire using fire extinguishers."
Chidester said from that point the incident turned into a "salvage and overhaul mode," where they ensured the fire was out. He said they removed some of the wall around a malfunctioned air conditioning unit, which was the source of the fire.
Edmonson EMS also responded and was standing by.
"Once everything was contained, we worked to remove smoke from the building," he said. "EMS assisted with removing a couple of other patients in nearby rooms. Everyone was checked but no one was transported for medical treatment." He said no injuries were reported.
Facility Administrator Chris Swihart said that the room took on some minor damage but the resident was safely moved to another room. He said all other residents were safely removed from the area and that the building was currently being aired out. He was pleased with the quick response from the staff.
"We're blessed to have such a great community," he said. "I can't say enough about how proud I am of our staff and how they moved quickly during this incident. Everyone here is ok thanks to their response and all our residents are safe. Things are getting back to normal and there's no need for anyone to worry."
Chidester also discussed the staff's response.
"The staff did a great job of putting the fire out, along with making sure all residents were removed from harm's way," he added.