Edmonson Voice Staff, story and photos
Local firefighters responded to a storage shed fire in the backyard of a Wingfield residence on Henry Meredith Road around 7pm on Tuesday evening. The shed was relatively small, but without quick response from the Wingfield Fire Department, the damage could have easily spread to the house, which was only about 30 feet away.
Teresa May, the resident who was home at the time, said she had burned some trash several feet from the shed about two hours before. She said she kept an eye on the pile until it burned down, as she said she always does, then went back inside. "I fell asleep in the house and cracking and popping woke me up," she said. "I looked out the window and I saw an orange glow. I could have burnt up in here," she said, very emotional as she pointed to the melted siding on her back porch.
The storage shed and all the contents were a total loss. In addition to Wingfield VFD, the Chalybeate Fire Dept also responded as well as the Edmonson County Sheriff's Office and the District 2 Constable. No injuries were reported.